Monday, July 17, 2017

Deep Thoughts: Fighting Summer FOMO

I don't know about you, but I'm fighting a serious case of wondering why everyone seems to be doing incredible things this summer while I'm not. Why is everyone in Europe, or on fabulous trips while I am here still working? I know that things feel especially highlighted when viewed on social media but when I am especially triggered by things I know that there are some steps I need to take to get my thoughts back on track! The following are a few of the things I do to keep summer feeling like summer, even with working, real life and all the rest. 






1. Swim.  We try to hit the lake as many times a week as we can. And with the addition of silly food themed floats things seem to be even more fun! (we draw a lot of comments, especially from little kids!) Just a quick dip in the lake after a day at work gives us all a reset. It takes as little as an hour for us to take in the surroundings, get a bracing hit of cold water, and spend some time relaxing. 






2. Go to the Farmer's Market  We have been trying to start our weekends with a visit to the  Saturday Market. The fresh veggies and fruit, the mix of people. All of it screams of summer. There are usually popsicles or a treat made of the freshest ingredients (like the biscuit pictured that was served with fresh strawberries and rhubarb!) Even better if we find ingredients that we can bring home for the week and stretch the flavors to last all week long! 



3. Find inspiration When I find I'm needing some inspiration or a spark we head to the antique mall. There we will browse around and be inspired by color combos, funny items, and just be amused. This is a perfect field trip on an overcast, day. Or a really hot one when you are looking for a cool place to hide! 




4. Hit the Road We live near one of the prettiest drives in the state, Chuckanut Drive. It's easy to make a few sandwiches, grab a few snacks and music and hit the road. Even after a day at work it's close enough to picnic and watch the sunset. We just bring a blanket and hit one of the viewpoints and hang out and enjoy the view! An hour or two chilling like this and I can feel summer settling back in my outlook. And any worries about what everyone else is doing fall away. 

My last item. Step away from the social media. Which is the hardest on my list honestly. I find myself on instagram first thing in the morning every day which is the worst thing for me and my mindset. Later in the day when I am doing okay I can use media to find things to inspire me to make summer better. 

Does anyone else struggle with this? I find it hard to believe that I'm the only one. And if so how do you cope? Do you have anything to share that might be helpful? I'm always looking for more ways to keep that summertime feeling! 

4 comments:

  1. Yes! I love social media but I get bogged down by it too, especially starting my day with it. It's totally this love hate relationship. It keeps me connected and inspired, but also drags me down. I am constantly reminding myself that checking it less is best, and have started to unfollow people (who not of their own fault, but my own entirely) that make me play the mental comparison game.

    Love your summer tips. One thing that I view as a summer indulgence is laying outside on a blanket in the sun, reading a magazine. That always gets me back into the summer mindset. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have had to unfollow people too...for the same reasons. It became unhealthy for me! I love your indulgence! It's one I haven't done yet this summer...I will have to do it soon. Thank you for the reminder!

      Delete
  2. Some great tips, Tammy! And yes, it's hitting me especially hard this summer! You've inspired me to try some things to get out of my funk. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow this summer has felt especially tricky. Let me know if you want to hit the lake or a park concert with me! We can help one another!

      Delete