Monday, September 11, 2017

Deep Thoughts: Getting Rid of Stuff

I promise that I will mix some other blog posts in with all these "deep thought" posts soon...I hope to have some fun thrifting, seasonal, and other posts coming. In the meantime I guess I have a lot of things that I want to talk about with you all. Here is the latest. 

This is not going to be a pretty, aspirational post. It was something I didn't even think I wanted to take part in. A garage sale. Steve is the child of a life-long garage sale veteran and while I love going to them I HATE  having them. It just seems to be so awkward having people go thru your stuff, judging you and paying you for the things you want to get rid of. Surprisingly, this day turned out so much better than that. 


Steve talked me into taking part by helping me clean out our storage. This house is small, but has two storage areas down the length of both sides of our upstairs. We were married in the 90's which seems to be the time when it was important to acquire. And we were good at it. And while we stopped using these things, we kept them in storage waiting until we found the time to use them again. But that time never seemed to come.


So we finally decided to get rid of the stuff that no longer has a hold on us. And it feels so freeing. We seemed to change our priorities a while back about how and what we buy, but we never addressed the things we already had. And the way we feel about our "stuff" has changed a lot over the years. We now feel like if we don't use something more that once a year it should probably go. And if it doesn't give us joy, it should probably go. Even if it was a gift, and we don't love it, it should probably go.


And it leaves us feeling less burdened by our stuff. And the stuff we sold will work for us by going toward a trip (like the one we are on above to Arizona from last year). We will continue to pare down and give to Value Village or Goodwill. I hope we will be able to find the point where we have the perfect balance of things. Until then we will keep working at it. I have been keeping the following quote in mind until we get there. 


"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful."

William Morris


No comments:

Post a Comment